There are quite a lot free web storage providers. This is a selection of those ones I believe are more interesting, but you must consider this services are very dinamic (programs may stop, storage space reduced…), so do not rely on these services to store your important documents (unless you pay for the service). A DVD is a simple and effective option.Important questions: How much storage do you really need? How much time are you going to spend uploading files? Will you ever use more than 1 GB online storage? Do you think each individual account in companies bellow are using more than 50 MB storage on average? How are you different from them?Why are there more and more online storage services? At this time, for some users online paid storage has become an interesting alternative due to the decrease of the price of these services. Tradiotional copies (in hard drives or CD/DVD) requires often to maintain at least a couple of copies of the important information (two hard drives), and generating the copies is very time consuming. Online storage allows to have an unique copy of files (online) and the number of copies is not a user’s problem anymore. So from an economic point of view, it is becoming an interesting alternative For professionals, sharing files stored online is also an interesting feature provided by those companies.In many cases, free storage is provided during trial period, or there is another kind of limitation (p.e. traffic may be limited, so you will not be able to upload and download huge files eventhough they are providing huge storage space). Often, additional space, traffic and other features must be paid.
Services to upload and share files
You may upload anonymously your files (often big ones; films, audio…). In all the services in the list anonymous upload/download is available (slow conection), a free account may be openned (better connection), and the paid services will allow you to download files very fast. After uploading a file, those services will provide you with an url. Your friend will be able to access the file (without a paid service they are required to wait a few seconds before downloading starts). For non-paid accounts, non-active files are removed after a variable period of time.
- 4shared – Free online 10GB file sharing and storage service. Check this example to download sudokus.
- Megaupload – Upload files up to 1GB, with no registration required. Inactive files are deleted after 21 days, or 90 days after registration. Check this example to download sudokus.
- HotFile – Upload files up to 2GB, with no registration required. Inactive files are deleted after 90 days. Check this example to download sudokus. FTP available. They will pay a bit of money when your files are downloaded (2-15$ per 1000 downloads)
- FileServe – Upload files up to 2GB. Anonimous or 500GB free account. Inactive files are deleted after 60 days. Check this example to download 32 games for windows.
- FileFactory – No-registration required, upload of files up to 50 files up to 2 GB each. Inactive files are deleted after 90 days. Check this example to download sudokus.
Other services for personal or businnes web storage
You may use those services to keep copies of your important files and backups, or to share files with your partners at work/class. For serious users the paid services offer more security. Try the free/trial accounts to find the ones that meet you needs.
- Bigupload – Upload files up to 50MB, with no registration required. Inactive files are deleted after 30 days. [Flash required]
- Box.net – Store and share 1GB of files, each up to 25MB in size. Includes collaboration features.
- DriveHQ. – Offers 1GB of file storage. Images, music, video and any file type. Additional storage space available by payment. DriveHQ is designed primarily for business rather than for personal use.
- Easy Share – Upload files up to 1GB, with no registration required. FTP upload is also available.
- ElephantDrive – The “lite edition” provides for free 2GB of storage. Free trial for 15 days for home or bussines plans.
- Huddle Collaboration – The free service is only 100 MB, but in case you want to try the “Personal” (1GB, 1 work space, unlimited users), “Small Team” (2GB, 5 work space, unlimited users), or “Large Team”(5GB, 10 work space, unlimited users) plans free for a month, use the code “1MONTHFREE” (info included on 2010/09/30).
- Jigsaw Share – No-registration uploads of files up to 10GB. Inactive files are deleted after 1 year. Note that the IP address of the uploader is made public.
- Kontainer file storage – 50MB of free file storage, along with paid options. Includes multi-user management features. Paid versions include multimedia manipulation features.
- MediaFire – No-registration uploads of files up to 100MB. Inactive files are deleted after 30 days.
- MegaSWF – Upload Flash SWF files up to 10MB. Files are deleted after 5 months.
- Mozy – Offers 2GB of free file storage for personal use. Solftware must be intalled in the computer. Paid service (4.95 $/month) available with unlimited storage
- RapidShare – Upload files up to 200MB, with no registration required. Files are deleted after 90 days of inactivity, or after 10 downloads. Free registration (available after uploading a file) allows unlimited downloads.
- ShareBase – No-registration uploads of files up to 200MB. Inactive files are deleted after 20 days. Revenue-sharing is available.
- Sigmirror – 5GB of free file storage and sharing, along with paid options. Files up to 10MB can be uploaded, and they can be hotlinked.
- StoreWith – Provides a free unlimited storage space with upgradeable non-free features.
- TzFiles – Offers 2GB of file storage and 100MB file upload limit
- uploaded.to – Free online storage for files with a maximum file size of 250MB, password protection available.
- VMN – 1GB of online storage. File manager download available for file management.
- Humyo – 10GB of free file storage and sharing, along with paid options. Inactive accounts are deleted after 90 days.